Editorials go blank in Manipur papers
Imphal: Editorials of all newspapers in Manipur on Tuesday went blank in protest against continuous threats by militants.
Militants of different outfits have been threatening the local media for not publishing their statements and also for giving space to their opponents, a spokesman of the All Manipur Working Journalists` Union (AMWJU) said.
A militant outfit had planted a powerful grenade at the premises of a popular daily with a letter reading "editor this is the last warning next time the grenade would be exploded," yesterday.
"This is too much. Please allow us to work freely," the AMWJU spokesman said adding that the editorial columns were kept blank in protest against such arm twisting.
He said AMWJU had asked the government to provide security to the media houses but the latter had failed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state