Editorials go blank in Manipur papers
Imphal: Editorials of all newspapers in Manipur on Tuesday went blank in protest against continuous threats by militants.
Militants of different outfits have been threatening the local media for not publishing their statements and also for giving space to their opponents, a spokesman of the All Manipur Working Journalists` Union (AMWJU) said.
A militant outfit had planted a powerful grenade at the premises of a popular daily with a letter reading "editor this is the last warning next time the grenade would be exploded," yesterday.
"This is too much. Please allow us to work freely," the AMWJU spokesman said adding that the editorial columns were kept blank in protest against such arm twisting.
He said AMWJU had asked the government to provide security to the media houses but the latter had failed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Surrogacy Bill against commercial surrogacy which is a money making racket: BJP
- Good news bookworms! 22nd Delhi Book Fair begins on Saturday
- Zika virus may spread sexually from asymptomatic man to woman, claims study
- Delhi constable murder: All three culprits arrested
- Now KRK gets in on the act, blasts Piers Morgan for tweeting about PM Modi