Editorials go blank in Manipur papers
Imphal: Editorials of all newspapers in Manipur on Tuesday went blank in protest against continuous threats by militants.
Militants of different outfits have been threatening the local media for not publishing their statements and also for giving space to their opponents, a spokesman of the All Manipur Working Journalists` Union (AMWJU) said.
A militant outfit had planted a powerful grenade at the premises of a popular daily with a letter reading "editor this is the last warning next time the grenade would be exploded," yesterday.
"This is too much. Please allow us to work freely," the AMWJU spokesman said adding that the editorial columns were kept blank in protest against such arm twisting.
He said AMWJU had asked the government to provide security to the media houses but the latter had failed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city