Editorials go blank in Manipur papers
Imphal: Editorials of all newspapers in Manipur on Tuesday went blank in protest against continuous threats by militants.
Militants of different outfits have been threatening the local media for not publishing their statements and also for giving space to their opponents, a spokesman of the All Manipur Working Journalists` Union (AMWJU) said.
A militant outfit had planted a powerful grenade at the premises of a popular daily with a letter reading "editor this is the last warning next time the grenade would be exploded," yesterday.
"This is too much. Please allow us to work freely," the AMWJU spokesman said adding that the editorial columns were kept blank in protest against such arm twisting.
He said AMWJU had asked the government to provide security to the media houses but the latter had failed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- India vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Rohit's century in vain as Proteas snatch 5-run win
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read