Fire destroys Shillong church
Shillong: A 10-year-old Roman Catholic church building here was razed to the ground by a raging fire in the wee hours of Monday, a church priest said.
The inferno in the Visitation Church at Mawprem in Shillong, started around 1.30 am and completely destroyed the wooden structure. No one was injured in the blaze, parish priest Rev Fr Leo Iawbor said.
"The church is a 10-year-old wooden structure and the raging fire has completely ravaged it," Iawbor said.
Local rescue workers tried to extinguish the blaze after fire tenders were delayed due to overnight parking in the narrow roads leading to the Church.
Asked if he suspected arson, the parish priest said: "We don`t suspect anybody to be behind the fire tragedy. We think it could be because of an electrical short circuit."
Fire and emergency services officials, meanwhile, have started investigation to find out the exact cause of the blaze.
"We are yet to determine the cause of the fire but preliminary investigations hint at an electrical short-circuit," deputy fire service officer SC Nath said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love