Fire destroys Shillong church
Shillong: A 10-year-old Roman Catholic church building here was razed to the ground by a raging fire in the wee hours of Monday, a church priest said.
The inferno in the Visitation Church at Mawprem in Shillong, started around 1.30 am and completely destroyed the wooden structure. No one was injured in the blaze, parish priest Rev Fr Leo Iawbor said.
"The church is a 10-year-old wooden structure and the raging fire has completely ravaged it," Iawbor said.
Local rescue workers tried to extinguish the blaze after fire tenders were delayed due to overnight parking in the narrow roads leading to the Church.
Asked if he suspected arson, the parish priest said: "We don`t suspect anybody to be behind the fire tragedy. We think it could be because of an electrical short circuit."
Fire and emergency services officials, meanwhile, have started investigation to find out the exact cause of the blaze.
"We are yet to determine the cause of the fire but preliminary investigations hint at an electrical short-circuit," deputy fire service officer SC Nath said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'