GJM makes u-turn on Gorkhaland demand
Kolkata: In a u-turn, the GJM which has demanded creation of Gorkhaland after the Centre gave its nod to Telangana, on Monday said that the only way to move forward was `through dialogue` as no violence was wanted.
"Now the Gorkhaland agitation will be done through dialogue. I want no violence in the name of Gorkhaland," GJM President Bimal Gurung said in a Facebook post.
"Dialogue is the only way we can solve the problem of the hills. The Government must understand that," he said.
Without referring to the party`s claim that it has been called for tripartite talks on October 23, Gurung said "In December the agitation will be Delhi oriented and a lakh of Gorkha people will go to Delhi and create pressure for Gorkhaland."
GJM General Secretary Roshan Giri had on September 30 claimed that the Morcha received a phone call from the Ministry of Home Affairs inviting it to participate in the tripartite talks to be held on October 23 in New Delhi.
Earlier, the Gorkhaland Joint Action Committee had suspended the indefinite agitation for Gorkhaland in the Darjeeling hills till October 20 in deference to the appeal by the Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde to call it off to facilitate tripartite talks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read