Govt official kidnapped in Manipur, Rs 1 cr ransom demanded
Imphal: Suspected Kuki militants kidnapped a Manipur government official for a huge ransom of Rupees one crore, official reports said here Tuesday.
The armed militants abducted farm overseer (FO) Nameirakpam Nabakumar (56) while he was going from his house at Luwangsangbam, about eight km north of here, to his office at sericulture project centre at Sangaipat here on May 20 last, the reports said.
The abduction came to light when some callers who identified themselves as militants of United Kuki Liberation Army-Military Council (UKLA-MC) informed the family members on Thursday night that Nabakumar was in their custody and demanded immediate payment of Rs. 50 lakh by his department for his safe release, reports said.
The ultras again called up after a couple of days now raising the ransom demand to Rupees one crore "since the initial Rs. 50 lakh was not paid promptly as asked" and
threatened to kill the official if the entire amount was not given.
At sericulture department, several employees launched a sit-in protest yesterday against the abduction and appealed to the ultras to release the official unharmed without any
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II