Illegal drug trafficking: MLA`s son arrested
Imphal: The son of a Manipur MLA was arrested near here on Tuesday in connection with the incident in which a Colonel-rank Defence PRO and five others were held for allegedly transporting illicit drugs estimated at over Rs 24 crore for smuggling to Myanmar, police said.
Seikholen Haokip, the son of a ruling Congress MLA, was arrested from his house at Deulaland near here in connection with the drug haul, SP (Thoubal district) AK Jhaljit said.
Four bundles of contraband were recovered from his house during a police raid.
Haokip would be produced before Chief Judicial Magistrate (Thoubal) for further remand in police custody.
The arrest of Haokip followed intense interrogation of Colonel Ajay Chaudhury, his assistant RK Babalu, assistant manager of Indigo airlines Ngairangbam Brojendro Singh and three others - Haopu Haokip, Ningthang Doungel and Minlal Haokip, who were arrested on February 24 near Pallel police outpost on their way to border town of Moreh, about 120 km from here.
Sources said Chaudhury had told his interrogators that he was not involved in the case and that he felt "cheated" by some persons known to him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?