Innocent citizens not to be harassed: Gogoi
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Monday said that innocent "genuine" citizens will not
be harassed during the process of detection of foreign
"I will want to make it clear that the government will
never tolerate any innocent and genuine citizens being
harassed", Gogoi said while intervening during question hour
in the state Assembly here.
Admitting that at times during the process of
detection of foreigners, some innocent citizens are harassed,
the chief minister said each and every case that comes up
is dealt with.
The government will take all steps to protect the
rights of the citizen, the chief minister said in the reply to
a question by Aminul Islam who raised the issue of harassment
of citizen in the name of detection of foreigners from
Earlier replying behalf of Gogoi, forest minister
Rockybul Hussain said the problem of foreign nationals is an
age old one and it was not very easy to deal with it at one
"Even noted citizens sometimes are served with wrong
notices questioning their genuineness but those are being
corrected," Hussain said.
To make the process easy the government with all
seriousness is going ahead with the preparation of the
National Registrar of Citizen (NRC).
"Once the NRC is completed there will be no problems",
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Narshingh Yadav doping scandal: ‘Intruder’ who may have spiked wrestler's food identified?
- IMF says Egypt seeking financial support
- Pacer Kagiso Rabada scoops six South African awards
- French Open champ Garbine Muguruza withdraws from Montreal
- Olympics 2016: More Russians banned in mounting Rio toll