Kuki blockade affects routine life in Manipur
Imphal: An indefinite blockade, launched by a Kuki organisation on Monday, affected routine life in the hill and valley areas in Manipur.
Official reports said markets, shops and other establishments were closed in the Kuki-settled areas in the state because of the blockade called by the Kuki State Demand Committee to press for dividing Manipur into small states along ethnic lines.
Reports said hundreds of daily wage earners at several places in the state were out of work as vehicles did not ply on roads, including the national highways.
Both the national highways, Imphal-Dimapur-Guwahati and Imphal-Silchar, which are considered to be the lifelines of the state, were blocked because of the KSDC agitation.
Several hill-based social organisations have appealed to the KSDC to call off their agitation for the hardship it was causing to people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves