Kuki blockade affects routine life in Manipur
Imphal: An indefinite blockade, launched by a Kuki organisation on Monday, affected routine life in the hill and valley areas in Manipur.
Official reports said markets, shops and other establishments were closed in the Kuki-settled areas in the state because of the blockade called by the Kuki State Demand Committee to press for dividing Manipur into small states along ethnic lines.
Reports said hundreds of daily wage earners at several places in the state were out of work as vehicles did not ply on roads, including the national highways.
Both the national highways, Imphal-Dimapur-Guwahati and Imphal-Silchar, which are considered to be the lifelines of the state, were blocked because of the KSDC agitation.
Several hill-based social organisations have appealed to the KSDC to call off their agitation for the hardship it was causing to people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH