Major fire in NRL, ULFA claims responsibility
Golaghat: A major fire broke out at Numaligarh Refinery Limited (NRL) in Assam`s Golaghat district on Saturday, with the ULFA claiming responsibility for triggering a blast which led to the subsequent fire.
A loud sound of explosion was heard from the hydrogen cracker plant area of the refinery at 6:35 pm and a blazing fire broke out which could be seen from a distance of 15 to 20 kms in the district.
In an email to a news agency, ULFA`s central publicity committee member Joy Asom claimed that the outfit had carried out the blast with a `Magnetic Time Device` on the occasion of its Raising Day today as part of its "continuous armed struggle".
However, BPCL chairman contradicted ULFA chief Paresh Baruah.
Senior police officials, however, said it was "highly unlikely that it was an act of sabotage" as the fire broke out "in the middle of the plant area and was probably due to a technical fault though the exact cause of the fire is yet to be ascertained".
The ULFA further claimed that it had used the same devise earlier in the Duliajan and Guwahati refineries last year but these claims, too, were refuted by both police and refinery authorities with inquiries revealing that in both cases the fire was caused due to technical defects.
A senior NRL official told a news agency that there was no casualty or injury as the plant was automated and there was minimum deployment of human resources in the area.
"Our top priority is to douse the fire and the fire tenders posted at the refinery was engaged in the process," the official added.
Senior police and civil officials of the district have rushed to the spot to monitor the turn of events.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling