Manipur economic blockade ineffective
Imphal: The economic blockade
on national highways in Manipur from August 4 was
`ineffective` as trucks with essential supplies were running
normally, official reports said Monday.
The reports said that the trucks were running on the
Imphal-Dimapur-Guwahati National Highway 39 and the
Imphal-Jiribam-Silchar escorted by security personnel.
The blockade has been called by the United Naga
Council (UNC) demanding withdrawal of prohibitory orders from
some hill areas in the state.
Reports from the districts said the state was still
facing problems of scarcity of essential supplies due to the
68-day economic blockade on the two highways by the All Naga
Students` Association Manipur (ANSAM), which had opposed the
recently-concluded elections to the autonomous district
council elections. The blockade had ended on June 18.
Several civil organisations have appealed to the UNC
to call off its present economic blockade as it affected both
the hills and valley areas of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- OROP implementation after Bihar poll, says Manohar Parrikar
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men