Manipur economic blockade ineffective
Imphal: The economic blockade
on national highways in Manipur from August 4 was
`ineffective` as trucks with essential supplies were running
normally, official reports said Monday.
The reports said that the trucks were running on the
Imphal-Dimapur-Guwahati National Highway 39 and the
Imphal-Jiribam-Silchar escorted by security personnel.
The blockade has been called by the United Naga
Council (UNC) demanding withdrawal of prohibitory orders from
some hill areas in the state.
Reports from the districts said the state was still
facing problems of scarcity of essential supplies due to the
68-day economic blockade on the two highways by the All Naga
Students` Association Manipur (ANSAM), which had opposed the
recently-concluded elections to the autonomous district
council elections. The blockade had ended on June 18.
Several civil organisations have appealed to the UNC
to call off its present economic blockade as it affected both
the hills and valley areas of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop leadership quality in youths? - Part IV
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?