Manipuri new year day celebrated
Imphal: `Sajibum nongma panba cheiraoba`, the new year day of Manipuris particularly majority Meitei community, was on Monday celebrated with pomp throughout the state.
Official reports said people organised special feast and lunch at their respective houses and prayed to god to bless them on the occasion of the new year day.
They also offered special food and other items at the gate of their houses to god to bring goodness to their houses, reports from all districts said.
Official sources said the state government had already declared holiday today to enable the people to celebrate the new year day of Manipuris.
Reports from districts said people after having special lunch and feast at the respective homes would climb the nearby hillocks as a part of tradition and custom for which the government made elaborate security arrangements to prevent any untoward incidents in the militancy-affected state.
Governor VK Duggal and Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh also wished the people a `happy sajibu nongma panba cheiraoba`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa