Meghalaya: 31 killed as bus falls into gorge
Shillong: At least 31 people were killed and 27 critically injured when a Tripura-bound bus fell into a deep gorge in Meghalaya`s East Jaintia Hills district in the early hours Wednesday.
The incident took place sometime between 3 am and 5 am at Tamseng village near Meghalaya-Assam border.
The bus was on its way to Agartala from Guwahati along NH 44 when it fell into the 80-feet-deep gorge.
"So far we have managed to retrieve 31 bodies, including those of children and women," district police chief M K Dkhar said.
He said 27 people were critically injured and have been shifted to nearby Community Health Centre at Khliehriat, the district headquarters.
"There are possibilities of more deaths and police and fire service personnel are trying to rescue the people trapped in the bus," he said.
Police said the bus driver also died in the accident.
Drunk driving or loose soil resulting in landslides could be the reasons behind the mishap.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder