Meghalaya: 31 killed as bus falls into gorge
Shillong: At least 31 people were killed and 27 critically injured when a Tripura-bound bus fell into a deep gorge in Meghalaya`s East Jaintia Hills district in the early hours Wednesday.
The incident took place sometime between 3 am and 5 am at Tamseng village near Meghalaya-Assam border.
The bus was on its way to Agartala from Guwahati along NH 44 when it fell into the 80-feet-deep gorge.
"So far we have managed to retrieve 31 bodies, including those of children and women," district police chief M K Dkhar said.
He said 27 people were critically injured and have been shifted to nearby Community Health Centre at Khliehriat, the district headquarters.
"There are possibilities of more deaths and police and fire service personnel are trying to rescue the people trapped in the bus," he said.
Police said the bus driver also died in the accident.
Drunk driving or loose soil resulting in landslides could be the reasons behind the mishap.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan