Meghalaya CM confirms ISI presence in state
Shillong: Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma Tuesday admitted that the Garo Hills region in the state was being used as a corridor by rebel groups and operatives of Pakistan`s Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) for anti-India activities.
"We cannot deny that we have a problem," he said adding that the movement of these anti-national elements was a serious concern for the government.
The Chief Minister`s statement followed a discussion in the assembly in which former Lok Sabha speaker P.A. Sangma said that the region had become a "hot corridor" of ISI and asked the state government to check the illegal activities.
"The ISI (spies) enter Bangladesh from Pakistan and subsequently enter Garo Hills (bordering Bangladesh) to spread their network in the northeast region," Sangma told legislators in the assembly during a discussion on the law and order situation.
Meghalaya shares a 443-km border with Bangladesh, part of which is porous, hilly and unfenced and prone to frequent infiltration.
"Fake money printed in Pakistan is brought to Bangladesh and subsequently distributed in the entire region through the Garo Hills corridor," Sangma said.
He said Bhutan and Nepal have imposed a banned on using of Indian Rs.500 and Rs.1,000 denomination currency notes in their territory to prevent circulation of fake notes.
Apart from Pakistani`s spy agency, rebel groups from Assam and Bengal also used Garo Hills as their corridor to criss-cross the India-Bangladesh border, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- 2016 Hyundai Elantra: Check out features and specifications
- Institute of Company Secretaries of India Result 2016; Check icsi.edu for ICSI CS Executive Result 2016 declared
- Avoid getting sick this monsoon with these top health tips!
- Child swept away in water, parts of Malda face flood fury
- A Flying Jatt movie review: Tiger Shroff as a desi superhero is adorable enough to emerge as children's favourite