Meghalaya CM confirms ISI presence in state
Shillong: Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma Tuesday admitted that the Garo Hills region in the state was being used as a corridor by rebel groups and operatives of Pakistan`s Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) for anti-India activities.
"We cannot deny that we have a problem," he said adding that the movement of these anti-national elements was a serious concern for the government.
The Chief Minister`s statement followed a discussion in the assembly in which former Lok Sabha speaker P.A. Sangma said that the region had become a "hot corridor" of ISI and asked the state government to check the illegal activities.
"The ISI (spies) enter Bangladesh from Pakistan and subsequently enter Garo Hills (bordering Bangladesh) to spread their network in the northeast region," Sangma told legislators in the assembly during a discussion on the law and order situation.
Meghalaya shares a 443-km border with Bangladesh, part of which is porous, hilly and unfenced and prone to frequent infiltration.
"Fake money printed in Pakistan is brought to Bangladesh and subsequently distributed in the entire region through the Garo Hills corridor," Sangma said.
He said Bhutan and Nepal have imposed a banned on using of Indian Rs.500 and Rs.1,000 denomination currency notes in their territory to prevent circulation of fake notes.
Apart from Pakistani`s spy agency, rebel groups from Assam and Bengal also used Garo Hills as their corridor to criss-cross the India-Bangladesh border, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog