Meghalaya CM denies link with any militant group
Shillong: Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma on Tuesday denied having links with any militant group in the Garo Hills region of the state even as Opposition parties demanded a CBI inquiry into the matter.
"I do not keep links with any militant group. It is known to everybody, the people, the Centre and Union Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA)," he told reporters here.
He said the allegations made by a leader of the breakaway faction of the Achik National Volunteer Council (ANVC-B) is "malicious, distasteful and the subsequent developments are demonstrative of a deep-rooted conspiracy to malign the image of the chief minister and to create confusion in the minds of the people".
Mukul blamed "vested interests" for hatching a political conspiracy, which have penetrated the ranks of the militants, against him and his government.
Last week, `political secretary` of ANVC-B, Ajaju R Marak, had alleged that Sangma and the Congress had "used the nexus to secure power".
"The way the letter is scripted in English and the political interpretation within the letter, tells more than what meets the eye," Mukul said even as he reiterated that his government cannot rule out the militant-politico nexus, but in absence of any evidence to substantiate it, the government could not proceed with any action.
On United Democratic Party and National Peoples` Party`s decision to meet the President and the Prime Minister on the issue, the Chief Minister said, "The PM and MHA will have better information as they have their own mechanism."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead