Meghalaya encounter ends, Garo rebels` camp destroyed
Zee Media Bureau/Deepak Nagpal
Shillong: The gun battle between security forces and rebels of the Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) ended Thursday evening.
The daylong encounter came two days after Garo rebels killed a woman in front of her children for resisting rape.
Reports coming in from Meghalaya state that the security forces have destroyed a camp of the Garo rebels.
The security forces also recovered an air-gun and three bullet-proof jackets from the militant camp.
There was no confirmation of any casualty from both sides.
The gun battle had started at 8 am this morning, and involved personnel of the Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) team and Combat Battalion for Resolute Action (COBRA) commandos, district police chief Davies NR Marak informed.
The encounter took place in Adugre area, about 370 km from the state capital Shillong.
The crackdown was launched on the GNLA camp two days after members of the militant group killed a 35-year-old Garo woman. The rebels shot her dead in front of her children after she resisted their rape bid.
The GNLA camp is located at Adugre in the foothills of Durama Hills. This hill range is a vast densely forested area in Garo Hills which has been used by GNLA and ULFA rebels as sanctuary. Sohan D Shira, chief of the GNLA`s military wing, is controlling his rebels from Durama.
The GNLA, one of the five Garo tribal rebel groups, is fighting for a separate Garoland to be carved out of Meghalaya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees