Meghalaya firm in combating militancy threat: Guv
Shillong: With Meghalaya reeling under threat from militancy, the government is firm on dealing with the situation, Governor RS Mooshahary has said.
"Militancy is raising its ugly head again in the state and the government is determined to deal with this threat squarely to eliminate militancy for good," Mooshahary said, at
the Republic Day function here yesterday.
"Certain groups especially in the Garo Hills, have been indulged in illegal activities of extortion, abduction, intimidation and violence thereby disrupting normal life and
spreading an air of fear among the public," the former Director General of National Security Guard said.
"This game needs to be stopped, public need to be educated about the potential harm it can cause to the socio-political fabric of our state," he said.
On law and order situation, the Governor lauded the efforts of the machinery and the people for maintaining it which he said would benefit the state in general.
"...Peace will allow government initiatives bear fruits, the economy flourish and people prosper, benefiting the entire population," Mooshahary said.
Calling for a concerted effort to end violence in the state and in the region, Mooshahary said, "we are facing challenges to our freedom, our unity and our integrity from
the elements inimical to the core values of our heritage."
He said, "We need to join hands to fight against these forces which challenge the very basis of democracy, justice and civilisation sustaining our society."
The Governor said his government laid emphasis to improve the livelihood of the people and all effort are made to improve their economy through agriculture, health through
various central health schemes and tourism by improving the road infrastructure of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- Mbose.in 10th SSLC Results 2016: Megresults.nic.in Meghalaya Board SSLC Class 10th exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- She's a bae! Priyanka Chopra to get special poster for 'Baywatch'