Militant leader shot dead by unidentified gunmen in Manipur
Imphal: A top Kuki militant was shot dead and three others including two children were injured by unidentified gunmen in Manipur`s Senapati district, police said on Sunday.
Sources said Seikhohao Khongsai alias Marvin from militant outfit Kuki Liberation Army (KLA) along with four others including his wife were travelling from Churachandpur district to Saikul when three well-armed militants stopped his car at Pukhao Ahallup Chingya under Saikhul sub-division yesterday.
The militants dragged Khongsai to a nearby hill jungle and shot him dead from point blank range, sources said, adding that he died on the spot.
Official reports from Saikul said the militants also fired at the car in which the KLA leader was travelling, injuring his 2-year-old daughter Zoukim Kuki, 5-year-old Haominglung (a relative) and the driver Aleng Khongsai (24).
His wife Mansaonei (27) escaped unhurt, sources said.
Official sources said KLA is involved in the process for holding peace talks with the government and its cadres were sometimes allowed free movement.
No individual or group has claimed responsibility for the crime, sources said adding that a rival faction appeared to be behind the incident.
Meanwhile, an official report from border town of Jiribam, about 222 km from here, said suspected militants placed a powerful grenade near a petrol pump yesterday. Police sources said the grenade was later defused.
Sources at the petrol pump said suspected militants had demanded extortion money from them, the only one in Jiribam bordering Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!