Militant outfit to boycott Narendra Modi`s visit to Manipur
Imphal: A militant outfit on Tuesday said it would boycott BJP prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi`s proposed visit to Manipur on February 8 and called for a 11-hour general strike on that day.
United Revolutionary Front (URF) publicity secretary Sanajaoba Meitei said in a statement that the decision was taken as the people were being `suppressed` by the central forces in the name of dealing with militants.
Appealing to the people to stay indoors on that day, the statement said the general strike would begin at 5 am and continue till 4 pm.
Essential services such as water, electricity supply, media, religious function would be exempted from the purview of the strike, the statement said.
BJP sources said the Gujarat Chief Minister would arrive here on February 8 and address a public meeting in connection with the forthcoming Lok Sabha polls.
Official sources said a high level meeting of senior police officials presided over by the DGP, Shahid Ahmed, was held yesterday to discuss the security measures to be taken up in view of the prsence of central leaders in the state in connection with coming polls.
The meeting discussed the series of bomb explosions in recent weeks despite heavy security deployment and measures to prevent recurrence of such incidents, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?