Kohima: Regretting police action on
students in Assam`s Golaghat district earlier this month, the
Nagaland government on Thursday suspended the company commander of
IR battalion involved in the incident and announced Rs 5 lakh
ex-gratia to the injured.
Nagaland Home Minister Imkong Imchen told PTI the
commander of the `Bravo` company of 12th IR battalion, which
allegedly fired on All Assam Students Union volunteers on
September 15 injuring 20 of them, was suspended.
"We are very sorry for the unfortunate incident which
attracted the government`s serious attention and we are
thoroughly investigating it through a high-level probe
committee," he said.
Chief Secretary Lalthara during the day announced
ex-gratia of Rs 5 lakh to the victims of Nagaland Police
The amount would be given to Golaghat deputy
commissioner for distribution among the injured students, an
official release here said.
AASU picketers, meanwhile, continued to block
commercial vehicles on highways leading to Nagaland since
September 18 demanding justice in the Nagaland Police excess
in which 20 students were reportedly injured, some of them
seriously, when they had blockaded NH 39 demanding better road
connectivity in their area.
Three members of the inquiry committee instituted by
the Nagaland government had visited Golaghat yesterday and
spoke to AASU leaders and some of the victims. They also met
the district administration officials and visited the injured
in the civil hospital, official sources said.
The panel members appealed to the AASU to lift the
economic blockade of Nagaland. They were handed photos of
police excesses and shown the video clippings of police
brutalities, the sources said.