New Year celebrations peaceful in Mizoram
Aizawl: New Year celebrations in Mizoram was by and large peaceful except for the death of a young man in a drunken brawl in the southern district of Lunglei and a mysterious death of a Baptist priest in the same district.
A 16-year-old boy fell into a deep gorge in Lunglei town after a drunken brawl between six boys and died after being taken to the nearby Baptist Hospital at Serkawn.
His five friends were arrested by the Police and booked for culpable homicide and also under the Mizoram Liquor Total Prohibition Act, 1995.
In another incident, a pastor belonging to the Bru Baptist Church and posted at the Belthei village in Lunglei district was found dead in his residence in Ramzotlang near Lunglei town.
When the wife of Pastor Ruido Mohan reported the latter`s death to their neighbours, villagers alleged foul play in the incident.
Mohan`s body was brought to Lunglei for autopsy, and the Police were likely to launch investigations. Community feasts were organised in many villages and localities in the urban areas to mark New Year festivities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi