New Year celebrations peaceful in Mizoram
Aizawl: New Year celebrations in Mizoram was by and large peaceful except for the death of a young man in a drunken brawl in the southern district of Lunglei and a mysterious death of a Baptist priest in the same district.
A 16-year-old boy fell into a deep gorge in Lunglei town after a drunken brawl between six boys and died after being taken to the nearby Baptist Hospital at Serkawn.
His five friends were arrested by the Police and booked for culpable homicide and also under the Mizoram Liquor Total Prohibition Act, 1995.
In another incident, a pastor belonging to the Bru Baptist Church and posted at the Belthei village in Lunglei district was found dead in his residence in Ramzotlang near Lunglei town.
When the wife of Pastor Ruido Mohan reported the latter`s death to their neighbours, villagers alleged foul play in the incident.
Mohan`s body was brought to Lunglei for autopsy, and the Police were likely to launch investigations. Community feasts were organised in many villages and localities in the urban areas to mark New Year festivities.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed