No Bru refugee returns to Mizoram
Aizawl: Not a single Bru refugee returned to Mizoram on the third day on Tuesday of the fourth phase of repatriation from North Tripura relief camps.
No Bru refugee returned, Mamit district SP H Sangawia told a news agency over phone from Kanhmun Facilitation camp, one of the two transit camps where the repatriated Brus were to be received by Mizoram officials.
All officials who had gone to the relief camps returned at 2 pm, he said.
Preparations had been made for the return of 811 people belonging to 153 families from Khakchangpara relief camp during the day.
Only 41 refugees belonging to seven families have returned since the fourth phase began on April 26.
Official sources said that anti-repatriation elements were intimidating the refugees and those willing to return to Mizoram dared not do so.
Anti-repatriation elements among the refugees were demanding a number of things including formation of autonomous district council for Brus in Mizoram.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured