No Bru refugee returns to Mizoram
Aizawl: Not a single Bru refugee returned to Mizoram on the third day on Tuesday of the fourth phase of repatriation from North Tripura relief camps.
No Bru refugee returned, Mamit district SP H Sangawia told a news agency over phone from Kanhmun Facilitation camp, one of the two transit camps where the repatriated Brus were to be received by Mizoram officials.
All officials who had gone to the relief camps returned at 2 pm, he said.
Preparations had been made for the return of 811 people belonging to 153 families from Khakchangpara relief camp during the day.
Only 41 refugees belonging to seven families have returned since the fourth phase began on April 26.
Official sources said that anti-repatriation elements were intimidating the refugees and those willing to return to Mizoram dared not do so.
Anti-repatriation elements among the refugees were demanding a number of things including formation of autonomous district council for Brus in Mizoram.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city