No Bru refugee returns to Mizoram
Aizawl: Not a single Bru refugee returned to Mizoram on the third day on Tuesday of the fourth phase of repatriation from North Tripura relief camps.
No Bru refugee returned, Mamit district SP H Sangawia told a news agency over phone from Kanhmun Facilitation camp, one of the two transit camps where the repatriated Brus were to be received by Mizoram officials.
All officials who had gone to the relief camps returned at 2 pm, he said.
Preparations had been made for the return of 811 people belonging to 153 families from Khakchangpara relief camp during the day.
Only 41 refugees belonging to seven families have returned since the fourth phase began on April 26.
Official sources said that anti-repatriation elements were intimidating the refugees and those willing to return to Mizoram dared not do so.
Anti-repatriation elements among the refugees were demanding a number of things including formation of autonomous district council for Brus in Mizoram.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- Libya parliament rejects UN-backed unity government
- Ind vs WI: Day 5 washed out, Virat Kohli & co win series 2-0 but lose top ranking
- John Kerry urges deployment of South Sudan protection force
- BSF troops deployed in J&K after 12 years
- Authorities initiate action to evict Payal Abdullah from J&K govt bungalow in Delhi