Northeast politicians want to join BJP: Gadkari
Guwahati: Several politicians from the northeastern states want to join the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), its president, Nitin Gadkari, said here Sunday.
"Several senior leaders from various regional parties have come and met me here and expressed their willingness to join the BJP," he said. One of them was Manipur Peoples` Party leader Chaoba Singh, he said.
"I cannot name them all at this moment but I can tell you that several veteran politicians have expressed their willingness to come to the BJP`s fold and we welcome them all," he said told reporters, adding that he would visit some of the other northeastern states soon.
Elections are due in Meghalaya, Nagaland and Tripura early next year.
"BJP has a bright future in the northeast," he said. "It is a different matter that we failed to get the desired seats in Assam but our vote share increased, except in Barak Valley."
He was here to attend the party`s state executive meeting held Saturday.
On possible poll alliances for the Lok Sabha elections, Gadkari said BJP had not received any indication from any party and the meeting only discussed ways to strengthen the party ahead of the Lok Sabha elections.
He said the party had prepared vision documents for development of northeastern states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet all set to clear final recommendations on salary hike today
- Aamir Khan's 'Dangal' sans songs? Details inside
- Priyanka Chopra spills the beans about Deepika Padukone’s next Hollywood venture!
- Monsoon to reach Delhi by end of June, says Met department
- India likely to test launch new missile today