Nothing to do with the `viper` remark: Meghalaya Congress
Shillong: Stopping short of condemning the
`viper` remark on women by Deputy Chief Minister B M Lanong,
Meghalaya Congress on Tuesday said it had nothing to do with any
comments made by members of its alliance partners in the
"We are not responsible for any statement made by any
member of the government who is not from the Congress,"
Pradesh Congress president Friday Lyngdoh told a press
conference, a day after women activists took to the streets
protesting Lanong`s remark.
"We cannot dictate anything to anyone who is not a
member of the party. Had he been from the Congress, we would
have taken action," Lyngdoh said.
Lanong, a member of the United Democratic Party (UDP),
had on February 18 last, while referring to two women
activists, said "some women had the habit of biting like
Yesterday, some women activists boycotted the official
International Women Day celebration and took to the streets to
protest against the derogatory remark, demanding an apology
from the Deputy Chief Minister.
Following the protests, Lanong said his comment was
not "general" and he had no intent to "hurt the dignity of
The State Congress president said Congress has been
championing the cause of women and had never failed to fight
for their rights.
The lone Congress women MLA and Education Minister
Ampareen Lyngdoh said, the party has expressed concern over
the statement made by a member of the ruling coalition.
However, "if a member of a coalition partner makes
such a statement, it is for the party concerned to address the
issue," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi