One killed, one injured in police firing
Guwahati: A rickshaw puller was killed and a
school student injured when police fired at a rickshaw
carrying ULFA militants at Sualkuchi town in Kamrup (rural)
district today, official sources said.
Two ULFA militants were travelling in a rickshaw pulled
by Maniram Rabha when police fired at them injuring Rabha and
a class four student Deepjyoti Nath (10), sources said.
An ULFA militant Riaz Ali alias Harekrishna Deka
travelling in the rickshaw was nabbed and a hand grenade
seized from his possession, they said.
Both Rabha and Nath were rushed to hospital. While Rabha
succumbed to his bullet wounds in the Gauwahati Medical
College Hospital, Nath was discharged after first aid, they
The two ULFA militants were travelling in the rickshaw
after trying to extort Rs 5 lakh from a gas agency when police
tried to intercept them by firing at the rickshaw, the sources
Meanwhile, police launched a massive manhunt to nab the
other militant who fled during the firing, the sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...