Opposition for more trade routes connecting Bangladesh
Shillong: The Meghalaya government should open more trade routes connecting villages across the international border with Bangladesh to improve livelihood of the people living on the border, Opposition UDP on Friday said.
"The government needs to link borders with good roads. As of now, there is a lot of handicap. There is no initiative to link trade with good roads," United Democratic Party chief and Opposition Leader Donkupar Roy said, while debating on Governor`s address on the second day of the first budget session of the ninth Assembly.
Citing that there were large deposits of limestone in Nongjri and Umniuh villages just 200 metres of the zero line along the International border, Roy said there is a good road about 300 metres on the other side of border.
He, however, expressed regret that there is no road linking across the border for trade.
Roy represents Shella, a border constituency, which also houses Lafarge`s limestone mines for their cement plant in Bangladesh`s Chattak.
Noting that Bangladesh is a growing economy which imports clinkers from South East Asian countries for their cement plants, Roy said with improved roads, "They (Bangladesh) could import from us (Meghalaya)."
Roy also said that a lot of MLAs in Meghalaya lost in the elections due to bad roads.
"Bad roads make it extremely difficult to reply to the people during elections," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India