Opposition has no respect for the constitution: Chamling
Gangtok: Sikkim Chief Minister, Pawan Kumar
Chamling today slammed the opposition parties for boycotting
the elections to urban bodies and charged them with being
disrespectful to the Constitution.
"The opposition parties showed utter contempt for the
Constitution under which the election for the urban civil
bodies polls were held in Sikkim by staying away from the
election process," he said at a function to felicitate the
elected ward members.
The opposition was not not justified in their decision to
boycott the polls at the last minute as they had ample
opportunities to raise objections to the delimitation and
reservatation of seats for various communities at appropriate
platform and seek corrective measures on their grievances,
The Sikkim Democratic Front (SDF) has swept the urban
bodies polls winning 44 out of 47 wards unopposed. Election
will be held for remaining three wards later.
The ruling party has also clinched seven urban bodies,
including Gangtok Municipal Corporation and Namchi Municipal
Council and five Nagar Panchayats in Rangpo, Singtam, Geyzing,
Jorethang and Mangan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!