PA Sangma’s cell phone number used for cheating
Shillong: Former Lok Sabha Speaker PA
Sangma’s cell number was allegedly used to cheat a bank
employee and extract money from him in Meghalaya`s West
Garo Hills district, police said Tuesday.
Superintendent of Police Dalton Marak said, "A case
was registered yesterday under various sections of cheating
and forgery. Investigation is underway to nab the culprit."
Sangma`s personal assistant filed an FIR on Saturday
alleging that a man had sought Rs 25,000 in January from
Shyangtho Salgira D Sangma, an employee of the Tura branch of
the Meghalaya Cooperative Apex Bank, "using the cell number of
local MLA of Tura constituency PA Sangma".
The caller had said it was a loan being asked of the
bank employee on his personal capacity and he would pay back
The victim recognized the phone number of PA Sangma
and thought the caller must be close to him, police said.
He deposited the money in the account number provided
by the caller in three installments -- Rs 10,000 on January 4,
Rs 10,000 on January 5, and Rs 5,000 on January 7.
It was only after the employee returned from an
official training that he became suspicious as the money was
not repaid as assured by the caller.
The fraud came to light when the victim’s wife met PA
Sangma to get back the money. Only then he realized that
someone had used his cell number which, according to Sangma’s
PA, was no longer used by him.
The former Lok Sabha Speaker then asked the PA to
lodge an FIR with the police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Four including child dead after shooting in Texas apartment complex
- GST listing in Rajya Sabha likely this week, Arun Jaitley to meet state FMs
- Sleep apnea patients at glaucoma risk
- Unbelievable! Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' shatters Box Office, earns Rs 250 crore in India on Day 1?
- Audience don't judge stars with box office numbers: John Abraham