PA Sangma’s cell phone number used for cheating
Shillong: Former Lok Sabha Speaker PA
Sangma’s cell number was allegedly used to cheat a bank
employee and extract money from him in Meghalaya`s West
Garo Hills district, police said Tuesday.
Superintendent of Police Dalton Marak said, "A case
was registered yesterday under various sections of cheating
and forgery. Investigation is underway to nab the culprit."
Sangma`s personal assistant filed an FIR on Saturday
alleging that a man had sought Rs 25,000 in January from
Shyangtho Salgira D Sangma, an employee of the Tura branch of
the Meghalaya Cooperative Apex Bank, "using the cell number of
local MLA of Tura constituency PA Sangma".
The caller had said it was a loan being asked of the
bank employee on his personal capacity and he would pay back
The victim recognized the phone number of PA Sangma
and thought the caller must be close to him, police said.
He deposited the money in the account number provided
by the caller in three installments -- Rs 10,000 on January 4,
Rs 10,000 on January 5, and Rs 5,000 on January 7.
It was only after the employee returned from an
official training that he became suspicious as the money was
not repaid as assured by the caller.
The fraud came to light when the victim’s wife met PA
Sangma to get back the money. Only then he realized that
someone had used his cell number which, according to Sangma’s
PA, was no longer used by him.
The former Lok Sabha Speaker then asked the PA to
lodge an FIR with the police.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference