PDS scam busted in Meghalaya, two arrested
Shillong: Two people, including a fair price
shop owner, have been arrested in connection with a scam in
Public Distribution System in West Garo Hills district of
"Fair Price shop dealer Bipush Marak of Megonggri
village in collusion with another person was diverting BPL and
Antyodaya Anna Yojana (AAY) category rice to wholesalers,"
Deputy Commissioner Sanjay Goyal said today.
Complaints had been received that beneficiaries have not
been getting their quota of rice since December, he said.
The administration conducted a raid which revealed
that the dealer had fraudulently sold off his assigned quota
of 7.7 quintals of BPL rice, one quintal of APL rice and 3.85
quintals of AAY rice each for the past three months to a
The BPL and AAY cards of the beneficiaries were found in
illegal possession of the dealer, Goyal said, adding both
the dealer and wholesaler were arrested yesterday.
Acting against defaulters, the West Garo Hills
administration has, during the last one year, cancelled 16
kerosene oil dealerships and six fair price shop dealerships,
besides conducting regular inspections in wholesale godowns
and LPG outlets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire