PDS scam busted in Meghalaya, two arrested
Shillong: Two people, including a fair price
shop owner, have been arrested in connection with a scam in
Public Distribution System in West Garo Hills district of
"Fair Price shop dealer Bipush Marak of Megonggri
village in collusion with another person was diverting BPL and
Antyodaya Anna Yojana (AAY) category rice to wholesalers,"
Deputy Commissioner Sanjay Goyal said today.
Complaints had been received that beneficiaries have not
been getting their quota of rice since December, he said.
The administration conducted a raid which revealed
that the dealer had fraudulently sold off his assigned quota
of 7.7 quintals of BPL rice, one quintal of APL rice and 3.85
quintals of AAY rice each for the past three months to a
The BPL and AAY cards of the beneficiaries were found in
illegal possession of the dealer, Goyal said, adding both
the dealer and wholesaler were arrested yesterday.
Acting against defaulters, the West Garo Hills
administration has, during the last one year, cancelled 16
kerosene oil dealerships and six fair price shop dealerships,
besides conducting regular inspections in wholesale godowns
and LPG outlets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- After China warns India, Baloch and Sindhi leaders hail PM Narendra Modi outside Chinese embassy – Watch
- After Anil Vij, Vijay Goel announces support for Dera Sacha's sports village in Haryana
- PV Sindhu, Sakshi Malik, Dipa Karmakar, Jitu Rai conferred with Khel Ratna award
- Attention cinema lovers, Will Smith was a guest at Akshay Kumar's success party! – See pics
- Six scientists end year-long Mars mission