Pillai urges Nagaland, Manipur to end economic blockade
Shillong: Union Home Secretary GK Pillai has appealed to both Nagaland and Manipur Government to speak to various student organisations and ensure that they call off the economic blockade.
Calling the blockade as ``illegal``, Pillai said the illegal activity needs to be stopped at the earliest.
"Blockade has been done by various student organisations and others. I think they have to call it off. I think the blockade is totally illegal. I think the illegal activity has to stop," said Pillai.
"We have made an appeal to the chief minister of Manipur as well as the Chief Minister of Nagaland to talk with these people and to ensure that the blockade is removed at the earliest because we cannot allow blockade to continue," he added.
Thousands of two-wheelers, cars, trucks and buses have been queuing up at outlets across Manipur to receive their ``share`` of fuel.
Due to this, roads in Imphal have been perpetually clogged since the last few days.
Meanwhile, Indian football icon Baichung Bhutia, urged for peace in both Manipur and Nagaland
"I hope there is peace in Manipur and Nagaland because at the end of the day it`s the common people who are suffering and I hope peace prevails and the people are not into trouble," said Bhutia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble