Plan Panel approves Manipur`s outlay for FY13
New Delhi: The Planning Commission on Wednesday approved Rs 3,500 crore Plan outlay for Manipur for the current fiscal, which is about 9 per cent higher than that in 2011-12.
The annual Plan for the year 2012-13 for the state was finalised here at a meeting between the Commission`s Deputy Chairman, Montek Singh Ahluwalia, and Manipur Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh.
Expressing satisfaction over the performance of the state, Ahluwalia said infrastructure gap in Manipur needs to be bridged on priority.
He further said the state should encourage private participation in infrastructure development.
The Commission said a recent analysis reveals differing levels of growth rate of different sectors of the economy during the period 2000-09.
Of the sectors under consideration, electricity, gas and water supply, and public administration were found to have grown slowly.
Further, fishery, manufacturing, including transport, storage; and communication had grown faster.
Briefing the Commission on the development strategy of the state, the Chief Minister said the main thrust will be on reducing infrastructural deficit and expanding and strengthening capacity of key social sectors - health, education, women and child welfare, nutrition and food security.
Singh said there is a need for closing the gap between the deprived local population and the rest of the country. It is therefore necessary that there is enough investment for expansion of social infrastructure for covering the disadvantaged section, backward, remote and border areas.
He further said skill development programmes would be expanded to meet growing demand of industry and service sectors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note