Probe by Principal Secretary into attack by Nagaland policemen
Guwahati: Assam Chief Minister TarunGogoi on Friday directed Principal Secretary, Labour and Employment K K Mittal to probe into the firing and assault by Nagaland police in Assam`s Golaghat district in which 22 people were injured.
The Chief Minister has directed Mittal to submit the report to the state government within seven days, official sources said here. The Chief Minister had earlier asked the Golaghat Deputy Commissioner Haren Bora to submit a preliminary report within 24 hours which has been already submitted.
Gogoi has also urged the Nagaland Chief Minister N Rio to ensure that the errant policemen were arrested at the earliest. Home Commissioner Jishnu Baruah has also taken up the matter with his Nagaland counterpart regarding the high-handedness of Nagaland police personnel on peaceful agitators and to initiate necessary steps to bring the guilty to book.
Meanwhile, the opposition Asom Gana Parishad has called a 24-hour Golaghat district bandh tomorrow to protest against the incident. About 1500 protestors belonging to the AASU, various local organisations and women units had staged a road blockade on
National Highway 39 on September 15 to protest against lack of security on the Assam-Nagaland border when they were fired upon by Nagaland police personnel in which 22 persons were injured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note