Shutdown disrupts normal life in Manipur
Imphal: Normal life was disrupted in Manipur on Friday due to a shutdown called by a local committee to protest the alleged disappearance of an arrested militant from
Official sources said no untoward incident was reported from anywhere with security and police forces deployed at various places.
Markets, shops and business establishments were closed, while transport services between Manipur and neighbouring states were cancelled due to the shutdown.
Transport services between Imphal and district headquarters were also affected, the sources said.
The Joint Action Committee (JAC), formed by residents of Nagamapal area in Imphal West district, which sponsored the shutdown, claimed that a militant identified as Changjou was arrested several weeks ago by security personnel.
The security personnel, however, failed to produce the arrested man before the court, JAC sources said, adding the shutdown was called to press the authorities to produce him before the court.
Official sources, however, said there was no record of arrest of the said militant.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- China's state media calls LeT 'Pak-based military group', downplays boycott call of Chinese goods in Indian markets
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media