Shutdown disrupts normal life in Manipur
Imphal: Normal life was disrupted in Manipur on Friday due to a shutdown called by a local committee to protest the alleged disappearance of an arrested militant from
Official sources said no untoward incident was reported from anywhere with security and police forces deployed at various places.
Markets, shops and business establishments were closed, while transport services between Manipur and neighbouring states were cancelled due to the shutdown.
Transport services between Imphal and district headquarters were also affected, the sources said.
The Joint Action Committee (JAC), formed by residents of Nagamapal area in Imphal West district, which sponsored the shutdown, claimed that a militant identified as Changjou was arrested several weeks ago by security personnel.
The security personnel, however, failed to produce the arrested man before the court, JAC sources said, adding the shutdown was called to press the authorities to produce him before the court.
Official sources, however, said there was no record of arrest of the said militant.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Xiaomi Mi 5 gets a huge price cut; know the new rate here
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin poses as journalist during Carlos Brathwaite's press conference
- Rio Olympics fallout: Sports Ministry sets up inquiry to probe apathy in OP Jaisha's case
- SHOCKING! 1,012 rapes in UP in last 5 months, says govt
- Katrina Kaif and Sidharth Malhotra's sizzling chemistry in 'Baar Baar Dekho' is making us crazy!