Shutdown disrupts normal life in Manipur
Imphal: Normal life was disrupted in Manipur on Friday due to a shutdown called by a local committee to protest the alleged disappearance of an arrested militant from
Official sources said no untoward incident was reported from anywhere with security and police forces deployed at various places.
Markets, shops and business establishments were closed, while transport services between Manipur and neighbouring states were cancelled due to the shutdown.
Transport services between Imphal and district headquarters were also affected, the sources said.
The Joint Action Committee (JAC), formed by residents of Nagamapal area in Imphal West district, which sponsored the shutdown, claimed that a militant identified as Changjou was arrested several weeks ago by security personnel.
The security personnel, however, failed to produce the arrested man before the court, JAC sources said, adding the shutdown was called to press the authorities to produce him before the court.
Official sources, however, said there was no record of arrest of the said militant.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter