Sikkim`s NH31-A lifeline closed for repairs
Siliguri: With a landslide badly disrupting traffic, National Highway 31-A connecting Gangtok with Siliguri in West Bengal and considered Sikkim`s "lifeline" will be closed for a day from Wednesday for repairs.
With a major chunk of the highway caving in near Kalimpong in Darjeeling district and threatening to cut off Sikkim from the rest of the country, the administration has roped in the services of General Reserve Engineer Force (GREF).
According to the district administration, the highway will be closed for 24 hours from 6 am on Wednesday to enable the GREF to construct a Bailey bridge on the landslide-affected area for the traffic to resume.
Both the Sikkim and Darjeeling administration have warned tourists and drivers against using the highway to avert any tragedy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader