Sikkim`s NH31-A lifeline closed for repairs
Siliguri: With a landslide badly disrupting traffic, National Highway 31-A connecting Gangtok with Siliguri in West Bengal and considered Sikkim`s "lifeline" will be closed for a day from Wednesday for repairs.
With a major chunk of the highway caving in near Kalimpong in Darjeeling district and threatening to cut off Sikkim from the rest of the country, the administration has roped in the services of General Reserve Engineer Force (GREF).
According to the district administration, the highway will be closed for 24 hours from 6 am on Wednesday to enable the GREF to construct a Bailey bridge on the landslide-affected area for the traffic to resume.
Both the Sikkim and Darjeeling administration have warned tourists and drivers against using the highway to avert any tragedy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured