Students committee calls `curfew` in Manipur
Imphal: An 18-hour `curfew` has been called by a students` committee in Manipur on Wednesday to prevent non-Manipuris from transacting business in the state to protest recent attacks, rape and killing of the people of the northeast in the national capital.
Convenor of the Joint Students` Coordinating Committee (JSCC) Thangjam Premananda told reporters that all non-Manipuri people in the state should close their shops, stop transacting business and remain indoors during the curfew which began from 5 AM.
He said it was "very shocking" that people from the northeast region were "not only ill treated but looked down" in the national capital and blamed the central and Delhi governments for their failure to protect people from the region.
A series of agitations would be launched soon if proper measures were not taken to protect the people from the region, he said, adding the death of Nido Tania, a student from Arunachal Pradesh, rape of a Manipuri girl, assault on two Manipuri youths and two girls showed that mainland people have no respect for the people from this region.
Accusing MPs from the region and Manipur government of "failing" to put maximum pressure on the central government, he said people in the region would not remain silent while their brothers and sisters were murdered or raped in the national capital.
JSCC has been formed by six major student bodies including All Manipur Students Union, Democratic Alliance of Students of Manipur and Manipuri Students Federation a few days ago.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) TNBSE Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?