Third phase of repatriation of Bru refugees to begin from Mar 8th
Aizawl: The third phase of repatriation of
Bru refugees from the six relief camps in North Tripura was
scheduled to begin from March eight, Mizoram-Tripura border
Mamit district officials said on Thursday.
The officials said that around 450 Bru families, already
identified by the officials as bona fide residents of Mizoram,
would be repatriated this time.
Arrangements have been made for the return of 450 Bru
families and they would be resettled in Mamit district`s
Sihthiang, Tumpanglui, Tuipuibari, Khanthuam, Damparengpui and
Damdiai villages, the officials said.
Meanwhile, sources in the state home department said
that Rs 9.97 crore, sanctioned by the Union Home Ministry for
the repatriation expenses, was yet to be credited in the
Mizoram government account.
"The finance department, however, was making
arrangements to provide the fund with expectations that Rs 9.
97 crore would soon be credited in the Mizoram
government account," the sources added.
A tribe from Mizoram, the Brus fled the state in the wake of inter-community violence more than 13 years ago. Some 35,000 of them are now stranded in camps in North Tripura.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060