VVPAT to be used in 10 Assembly constituencies in Aizawl
Aizawl: Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath on Wednesday said electronic voting machine with Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trail (VVPAT) would be used in 10 out of 11 constituencies within the limits of Aizawl city during the Mizoram Assembly elections scheduled for November 25.
Sampath said the VVPAT system would be introduced in all polling stations of ten Assembly seats within Aizawl city.
"The VVPAT system was not manufactured due to doubts on the EVM, but was part of the upgradation of the system," he said.
The EVMs have been tested by different people including those who claimed they could be tampered and manipulated with, he said, adding all tests have proved their reliability.
The VVPAT system was first experimented in the Noksen Assembly bypoll recently in Nagaland and Mizoram would be the first state where it would be introduced in a large scale, EC officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report