Will have fresh look at appointment of BDOs: Meghalaya CM
Tura: Taking a serious view of the arrest of
a block development officer (BDO) red-handed while taking
bribe, Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma on Thursday said the
government will have a fresh look at the appointment of BDOs.
We have 39 blocks, and only two Meghalaya Civil
Service officers occupy the post of BDOs. The rest are either
veterinary doctors, agriculturists or others. There is a need
to have a fresh look at the appointment of BDOs, he told
reporters, after launching a new newspaper `Tura Times`.
Langstar Kharkongor, the Block Development Officer
(BDO) of Mawryngkneng in East Khasi Hills district was trapped
by sleuths of the crime branch on Tuesday night while taking a
bribe of Rs 50,000 for releasing a cheque for payment for work
under the MGNREGS.
While the arrest was based on the tip-off of the
village employment council chairman, Sangma said unless people
are willing to come forward, it is difficult to catch the
corrupt officials red-handed.
Commending the people who helped the police in
catching the BDO, the Chief Minister said, People should have
a strong resolve to root out corruption. The arrest of the BDO
has send a strong signal to other corrupt officers.
Asserting that the government will provide all
necessary support to people who come forward against such
corrupt officials, Sangma called for a proper social audit for
the flagship schemes in which the village authorities are
People should be sensitized about the inherent
guidelines of the schemes so that they can participate in the
public hearings and get involved in the social audit system,?
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued