103 crorepati candidates in Odisha`s 70 Assembly seats
Bhubaneswar: Odisha has 103 crorepati candidates for the 70 Assembly constituencies going to polls in the first phase on April 10, according to a report release by the state chapter of the National Election Watch.
Of the 673 candidates for the first phase Assembly polls, 103 (15 per cent) are crorepatis, Odisha Election Watch (OEW) Coordinator Ranjan Kumar Mohanty said.
BJP`s Rourkela candidate Dilip Ray, a businessman- turned-politician, is the richest candidate in the state with his total assets worth Rs 106 crore followed by the saffron party`s Deogarh nominee Nithesh Gangadeb, member of a royal family, with property worth Rs 17 crore.
BJD`s Kabisurya Nagar candidate Sugnana Kumarn Deo, a member of a royal family, has assets worth Rs 13 crore followed by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik of Hinjili (Rs 12 crore), BJD`s candidate from Bolangir A U Singhdeo (Rs 11 crore) and BJD`s Sanakhemundi seat and royal family member Nandini Devi (Rs 11 crore).
BSP candidate from Chhendipada Gobinda Naik is also a crorepati with the value of his assets at Rs 10 crore and Congress candidate from Jharsuguda Naba Kishore Das has assets valued at Rs 10 crore.
Dilip Ray again tops the list with income of Rs 1.34 crore per annum followed by sitting Congress MLA and Independent candidate Chakradhar Paik with Rs one crore and A U Singhdeo (Rs 23 lak).
Ruling BJD has fielded 34 crorepatis followed by 26 crorepatis by Congress and 19 crorepatis by BJP. Even Aam Admi Party (AAP) has five crorepati contestants.
In contrast, eight candidates have zero assets and 104 candidates have declared that they have assets less than Rs one lakh, the report said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued