131 tribals snap ties with CMAS in Odisha district
Koraput: At least 131 tribals have snapped ties with Maoist-backed Chasi Mulia Adivasi Sangh (CMAS) during the last five days in Narayanpatna area of Odisha`s Koraput district, police said.
While 97 tribals of Palaput village severed their links with CMAS, 34 of Tala Dekapadu village under Narayanpatna block followed suit on Sunday, they said.
Of the 34 tribals of Tala Dekapadu village who snapped ties with CMAS, 17 are women while non-bailable warrants (NBWs) were pending against 10 for their alleged involvement in Maoist activities, they said.
"The NBWs were issued as they had failed to appear before the court. Since they have surrendered, they would no longer be arrested," Koraput Superintendent of Police Awinash Kumar said.
Tala Dekapadu was considered a Maoist stronghold and most tribals were engaged in blocking roads by felling trees during the bandhs. "The Maoists had considerable influence in the village and tribals deserting CMAS will definitely weaken the banned outfit. We will ensure that those who have surrendered lead a dignified life without fear," the SP said.
"Development activities, which had slowed down in the area, will be accelerated with villagers` cooperation," he added.
More than 2,000 tribals, who were used by red rebels as shields to execute offensive in the region, have deserted CMAS since January, police said.
Director General of Police (DGP), Prakash Mishra, during his visit to Maoist-hit Narayanpatna area earlier this month, had urged the tribals, including CMAS president Nachika Linga, to surrender and return to the mainstream to lead a normal life.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’