3 arrested for extort bid posing as Maoist
Rayagada (Odisha): Three persons were arrested Sunday for allegedly trying to extort money from a trader by posing as Maoists in Odisha`s Naxal-hit Rayagada district, police said.
The accused, identified as Rajendera Rout, Sanjit Naik and Arun Bagh, had pasted a fake maoist poster at the house of a trader identified as Ram Murty Naik of D Karolo village in Kashipur block on August 30 and had demanded Rs 30 lakh from him.
The trio had asked Naik to bring the money to a forest road near Ghoda Tikri village on August 31. As the trader did not follow their instruction, the three telephoned Naik and threatened him of dire consequences, said Inspector In-Charge of Doragura police station, Ramesh Chandra Bisoi.
The mobile phone used by the trio was tracked and subsequently they were arrested, he said adding during interrogation it was found that the accused didn`t have any link with maoists and had identified themselves as rebels to make quick buck.
While Arun and Sanjit worked as drivers in a private company, Rajendra stays at Tikri," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets