Andhra Pradesh transport strike hits Odisha bus passengers
Berhampur: Over a month-long transport strike in Andhra Pradesh in protest against the creation of Telangana state has hit Odisha transport services hard, official sources said on Friday.
Many Odisha State Road Transport Corporation (OSRTC) buses are unable to enter Andhra Pradesh due to the strike.
As many as 64 buses at 32 routes under OSRTC`s Berhampur division have been diverted, causing heavy loss to the Corporation.
"The buses are not entering Andhra Pradesh since August 12 as the agitators detained some inter-state buses," OSRTC divisional manager (Berhampur) Lala Ashok Kumar Ray said.
The loss to the corporation`s Berhampur division has been estimated at Rs 2.75 crore during the period, he said, adding total loss to the corporation would be higher if other divisions like Angul, Cuttack and Bhubaneswar were taken into consideration.
"These long routes buses, mostly plying during night, are profitable. We are not sure when the normal bus services will resume," the Divisional Manager said.
Even though several buses have been grounded, the OSRTC is paying road tax and giving salary to the staff.
While plying of buses of the OSRTC in 32 routes in Vijayanagaram unit has been stopped, the bus service in 12 routes at Berhampur, six at Bhawanipatna and four at Bhanjanagar units has come to a grinding halt.
Bus passengers are now depending on trains to go to Andhra Pradesh as rail services were not affected due to the strike.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon