BJD constitutes ex-servicemen cell
Bhubaneswar: Ahead of the general elections, the ruling BJD in Odisha on Wednesday constituted an ex-servicemen cell of the party and ensured joining of about 1,000 retired defence personnel.
"Many ex-servicemen have joined the Biju Janata Dal today. They will strengthen our party," said BJD president and Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik.
Hailing the BJD president`s approval to constitute the BJD ex-servicemen cell, retired Lt Gen Narayan Mohanty thanked the Chief Minister and said the services of ex-servicemen could be used during natural calamities, implementation of welfare schemes of the government at the village level and other events.
A delegation comprising Lt Gen (retd) Mohanty and Brigadier (retd) B P Patnaik had earlier submitted a proposal to Naveen requesting him to set up such a cell in the BJD.
They said there were more than 1.5 lakh ex-servicemen in the state and nearly 10 lakh people were dependent on them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened