BJP demands Patnaik`s prosecution on pulses scam
Bhubaneswar: The opposition Bharatiya Janata Party Tuesday demanded prosecution of Orissa Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik over the scandal involving irregularities in the supply of pulses to children.
After visiting several areas, a central party team led by its national secretary Kirit Somaiya said the evidences it found clearly demonstrated several acts of commission and omission in the matter.
"It is a clear case of criminal breach of trust by the persons holding office of the chief minister, ministers and senior officials of the state," Somaiya told reporters.
The BJP and the ruling Biju Janata Dal led by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik were alliance partners both at the state and in the National Democratic Alliance until the BJD walked out of the partnership before the Lok sabha and assembly elections in 2009.
As per law, sanction from the governor or the appointing authority is necessary to prosecute chief minister, ministers and senior government officials, he said.
The BJP will ask the governor to accord sanction to prosecute the guilty, he said.
The alleged scam, which the opposition says could be of more then a thousand crore rupees, came to light after the state vigilance department last month claimed that there were irregularities in the supply of pulses to children and women at several places.
Orissa`s Woman and Child Development Minister Pramila Mallik Saturday resigned and at least three senior government officers faced action over the scandal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack