Boy kills himself for failing to pay school fine
Bhubaneswar: A Class 10 student in Odisha allegedly killed himself by consuming poison because his parents couldn`t pay the Rs 250 fine imposed by the school for attendance shortage and he was subsequently refused permission to sit for a test, police said on Thursday.
Alekh Chandra Mandal, a resident of Khandahar village in the district of Balasore, about 210 km from here, was the son of a couple who earned daily wages, police inspector MK Deo told a news agency.
The 15-year-old was to sit for a test beginning on Thursday. However, the school authorities asked him to pay fine to appear in the test.
The boy was upset after his parents expressed their inability to arrange the money in short notice.
The boy, who consumed poison on Wednesday, died in a hospital after several hours of treatment.
Though no suicide note was recovered, police have started investigation after registering a case against the school headmaster on the basis of a complaint lodged by the boy`s father, Deo said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!