Boy kills himself for failing to pay school fine
Bhubaneswar: A Class 10 student in Odisha allegedly killed himself by consuming poison because his parents couldn`t pay the Rs 250 fine imposed by the school for attendance shortage and he was subsequently refused permission to sit for a test, police said on Thursday.
Alekh Chandra Mandal, a resident of Khandahar village in the district of Balasore, about 210 km from here, was the son of a couple who earned daily wages, police inspector MK Deo told a news agency.
The 15-year-old was to sit for a test beginning on Thursday. However, the school authorities asked him to pay fine to appear in the test.
The boy was upset after his parents expressed their inability to arrange the money in short notice.
The boy, who consumed poison on Wednesday, died in a hospital after several hours of treatment.
Though no suicide note was recovered, police have started investigation after registering a case against the school headmaster on the basis of a complaint lodged by the boy`s father, Deo said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India