Boy kills himself for failing to pay school fine
Bhubaneswar: A Class 10 student in Odisha allegedly killed himself by consuming poison because his parents couldn`t pay the Rs 250 fine imposed by the school for attendance shortage and he was subsequently refused permission to sit for a test, police said on Thursday.
Alekh Chandra Mandal, a resident of Khandahar village in the district of Balasore, about 210 km from here, was the son of a couple who earned daily wages, police inspector MK Deo told a news agency.
The 15-year-old was to sit for a test beginning on Thursday. However, the school authorities asked him to pay fine to appear in the test.
The boy was upset after his parents expressed their inability to arrange the money in short notice.
The boy, who consumed poison on Wednesday, died in a hospital after several hours of treatment.
Though no suicide note was recovered, police have started investigation after registering a case against the school headmaster on the basis of a complaint lodged by the boy`s father, Deo said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH