Cong names new PCC chiefs in West Bengal, Haryana, Kerala
New Delhi: Union Minister Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury, a known detractor of Mamata Banerjee, young dalit MP Ashok Tanwar and senior leader V M Sudheeran were today made PCC chiefs in West Bengal, Haryana and Kerala respectively.
AICC Secretary and young leader V D Satheeshan has been appointed Vice President of the party in Kerala, Congress General Secretary Janardan Dwivedi said.
The appointments signalled Rahul Gandhi`s efforts to make the party battle-ready ahead of Lok Sabha polls. They come close on the heels of young leaders Sachin Pilot and Arun Yadav being made heads of the party units in Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh respectively.
Chowdhury, who is Minister of State for Railways, replaces Pradip Bhattacharya, MP, who was the acting WBPCC chief.
Tanwar succeeds Phulchand Mulana, also a dalit and a close associate of Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda.
Sudheeran, who is widely respected in Kerala politics, comes in place of Ramesh Chennithala who has been made the Home Minister in the state.
Satheeshan, a close associate of Rahul Gandhi, who is known for his clean image and for taking up green causes, has been made Vice President of Kerala PCC.
Sudheeran`s appointment is significant in view of the fact that Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy as also Chennithala were pressing the case of G Karthikeyan, who is now the Assembly Speaker.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets