Congress demands probe into allotment of land in Bhubaneswar
Bhubaneswar: With the CAG slamming the Odisha government over allotment of valuable land in Bhubaneswar city, the Congress on Monday held Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik responsible for flouting of law in the process and demanded an independent probe into the matter by an independent agency like CBI.
"The CAG report shows that the chief minister is solely responsible for allotment of valuable land by violating the law and misusing power. There is direct allegation against Patnaik," media cell chief of state Congress Narsingh Mishra told reporters here.
Stating that the CAG has pulled up the BJD government for allotting valuable land in Bhubaneswar without proper policy for the past 12 years, Mishra said the chief minister is in charge of general administration department which controls settlement of land in the state capital.
"The chief minister is the ultimate authority and nobody else has the power to order allotment of government land in Bhubaneswar," the senior Congress leader said asking the chief minister to take responsibility, both legally and morally, for alleged flouting of law.
Demanding thorough investigation into the alleged misuse of power and flouting of law in the allotment of government land in Bhubaneswar by an independent agency like CBI, Mishra said neither the chief minister nor the officials concerned should be allowed to go scot-free.
The Congress demand came in the wake of CAG gave its report on allotment by GA department of 464.47 acres in Bhubaneswar in 337 cases during 2000-12 to individuals, government offices, government undertakings and private bodies for establishment of hotels, hospitals, educational institutions and NGOs.
Although the GA department was entrusted with the management of this land since 1952, yet no rules, regulations, manuals for allotment of land have been framed by the department for the last 60 years, the CAG report said.
A test check of 164 cases of the total 337 found that the process of land allotment lacked a defined policy and procedure and absence of any rule or criteria gave room to arbitration in allotment.
"There was no uniformity in disposal of applications, sanction of concession on premium to be paid, changes in land use plan and resumption of encroached land," the report said, adding that proclamations inviting public objections as stipulated in the Odisha Government Land Settlement Rules were not published in any of the test checked cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark