Dalits rally in Kendrapara alleging discrimination
Kendrapara: Alleging that they
are being discriminated as second grade citizens by government
agencies and upper-caste people, hundreds of dalits today
rallied in front of Kendrapara district Collectorate here.
Alleging a reign of terror has been unleashed upon the
dalits in certain areas of the district, Secretary, Republican
Youth Front, Ashok Mallik said the offenders are influential
and powerful upper caste people but the civil and police
administration have done little.
Mallik further charged that Dalit women were subjected
to sexual assault at Rankala village last month when a mob
torched their dwellings and besides making some arrests in the
case of arson, "police turned a blind eye to the sexual
However, the District Collector Sisirkanta Panda
denied the charges and claimed proper action was initiated
against the offenders as per law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Renowned Urdu poet Nida Fazli dies at 78
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?