Dalits rally in Kendrapara alleging discrimination
Kendrapara: Alleging that they
are being discriminated as second grade citizens by government
agencies and upper-caste people, hundreds of dalits today
rallied in front of Kendrapara district Collectorate here.
Alleging a reign of terror has been unleashed upon the
dalits in certain areas of the district, Secretary, Republican
Youth Front, Ashok Mallik said the offenders are influential
and powerful upper caste people but the civil and police
administration have done little.
Mallik further charged that Dalit women were subjected
to sexual assault at Rankala village last month when a mob
torched their dwellings and besides making some arrests in the
case of arson, "police turned a blind eye to the sexual
However, the District Collector Sisirkanta Panda
denied the charges and claimed proper action was initiated
against the offenders as per law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened