Dusshera in Cuttack to be low-key affair
Cuttack: Dusshera in Cuttack city this
year would be a low-key affair with devastating floods ravaging many parts of Orissa.
There would no grandeur or lavish spending on welcome
arches and evening cultural programmes. Majestic processions
accompanied with decorative lights and band parties during the
time of immersion of deities would be missing.
For the recent flood which wrecked havoc in 19 of the
30 districts of the state, the puja committees have decided to
donate generously to the Chief Minister’s relief fund for the
rescue, relief and rehabilitation of the affected people.
Local puja committees have unanimously agreed to it
yesterday when Nagar Ekata Committee mooted the proposal.
About 70 of the 150-odd puja pandals which attended
the meeting collectively agreed to the proposal, Ekata
committee chairman Prasanna Nanda said.
Deciding to heavily slash their budget on extraneous spending, the cash-rich puja committees have instead decided to donate generously for relief, rescue and rehabilitation of the people in the flood-hit areas.
At least 10 blocks of Cuttack district are affected in the recent floods in Mahanadi river system.
"We have already received assurances from some puja
committees that they would donate within two to three days",
An appeal would be made on behalf of the city puja
committee to all local committees to ensure that the puja`s
end peacefully without much extravaganza, he said.
It`s an impressive gesture on the part of the puja
committees coming to the help of administration at this hour
of crisis", a senior citizen of the city said.
Senior police officials of the city too appreciated
the gesture saying the steps taken by the `sahi murabis`
(local heads) is a great step saying the law and order
situation and traffic in the city would improve during the
puja days without the late night cultural programmes and low
key Bhasani (immersion ceremony).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state