Four killed in Odisha building collapse
Puri: At least four persons were killed and four critically injured when an over 100-year-old house collapsed here on Sunday.
The house collapsed at Daita Lane near Janhimundia Square in Puri town, killing four on the spot, Additional District Magistrate Uddhab Chandra Majhi said.
The deceased were identified as caretaker of the house Bauri Barik (70) of Balagandi square and her daughter Swetsweni Barik (11), Sarojini Barik (16) of Chandanpur and Sulachana Das (58) of Agalamala in Balasore district.
Some of the victims had come to the pilgrim town for darshan of Lord Jagannath from Agalamala in Balasore and were staying in the dilapidated house, police said.
The fire brigade from Puri and nearby Brahmagiri were engaged in rescue operation. It took them over three hours to clear the debris, they said.
The injured were admitted to the district headquarter hospital, Puri and their condition was stated to be critical.
The Additional District Magistrate along with senior police officers had rushed to the spot soon after the incident. Majhi said poor maintenance of the building appeared to have led to the mishap.
He said there are many old buildings in Puri town and the administration would examine their condition soon.
Necessary assistance would be provided to the injured persons and the family of the deceased from district Red Cross, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan