Four killed in Odisha building collapse
Puri: At least four persons were killed and four critically injured when an over 100-year-old house collapsed here on Sunday.
The house collapsed at Daita Lane near Janhimundia Square in Puri town, killing four on the spot, Additional District Magistrate Uddhab Chandra Majhi said.
The deceased were identified as caretaker of the house Bauri Barik (70) of Balagandi square and her daughter Swetsweni Barik (11), Sarojini Barik (16) of Chandanpur and Sulachana Das (58) of Agalamala in Balasore district.
Some of the victims had come to the pilgrim town for darshan of Lord Jagannath from Agalamala in Balasore and were staying in the dilapidated house, police said.
The fire brigade from Puri and nearby Brahmagiri were engaged in rescue operation. It took them over three hours to clear the debris, they said.
The injured were admitted to the district headquarter hospital, Puri and their condition was stated to be critical.
The Additional District Magistrate along with senior police officers had rushed to the spot soon after the incident. Majhi said poor maintenance of the building appeared to have led to the mishap.
He said there are many old buildings in Puri town and the administration would examine their condition soon.
Necessary assistance would be provided to the injured persons and the family of the deceased from district Red Cross, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India