Freedom fighter dies at 99 in Odisha
Dhenkanal (Odisha): Veteran freedom fighter and member of the first Orissa Legislative Assembly (OLA) Baishnab Charan Patnaik passed away here on Tuesday, family sources said.
He was 99 and survived by two sons and a daughter.
A revolutionary from his student life, Patnaik (99) was elected to the first assembly in 1952 and as a congress candidate represented Dhenkanal constituency in the 3rd Lok Sabha in 1962.
The nonagenarian leader was imprisoned several times during freedom movement and injured after being shot at while leading a movement to capture Parjang police station in 1942 during Quit India Movement.
Braving the British force, Patnaik in 1938 had carried the body of slain freedom fighter Baji Rout and six others, who were shot dead for defying the British diktat, to the Khannagar crematorium for performance of their last rites.
In 1947, he took leadership of Prajamandal Workers in Nilagiri and was actively associated with Sardar Ballav Bhai Patel in the Merger of Princely States.
After being arrested at Athagarh in March 1948, Patnaik was incarcerated in Cuttack jail for four years.
Patnaik was conferred with the highest Kapilas Samman in 2005 by the Dhenkanal district administration and honorary doctorate by the Revenshaw University, Cuttack in 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31