Govt urged to waive exam fees for cyclone-hit students
Berhampur (Odisha): Berhampur University authorities today urged the Odisha government for waiving the of examination fee of students affected by Phailin and subsequent floods that hit the state last month.
"We have written to Governor S C Jamir, who is also university Chancellor and discussed with the higher education secretary about it," said university vice-chancellor Deepak Kumar Behera.
University authorities took this step following a demand by post-graduate students. First and third semester students refused to fill up examination forms, demanding fee waiver. Due to the protest, the authorities extended the date for submission of forms to December 6.
First and third semester examinations are due in first week of January 2014.
The students` union had also demanded the fee waiver from Revenue minister S N Patro during his visit to the varsity recently.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi only confirming allegations against him: BJP on RSS row
- Vaishno Devi-bound pilgrim dies due to heart attack
- 'Lion' trailer: Dev Patel once again proves his acting brilliance – Watch
- US, Russia make headway on brokering truce in war-torn Syria
- Worms found in burgers from two Kentucky McDonald’s restaurants